In a significant breather, the first visuals of workers stuck inside the collapsed Silkyara tunnel in Uttarkashi are out for the world to see. This after the rescuers on Monday pushed a six-inch-wide pipeline through the rubble of the collapsed tunnel allowing supply of larger quantities of food and live visuals of the 41 workers trapped inside for eight days. The anxious families of the trapped workers would have something to look forward to untill the rescue concludes successfully.
“As part of the ongoing rescue operation to rescue workers trapped inside the tunnel under construction in Silkyara, Uttarkashi, a 6-inch diameter pipeline has been successfully laid across the debris. Now through this, food items, medicines and other goods will be easily sent to the workers as per the requirement. Central agencies, SDRF and state administration teams engaged in rescue operations are working tirelessly. We are working on a war footing to evacuate all the workers safely,” tweets Uttarakhand CM Pushkar Singh Dhami.
Meanwhile, the vertical drilling machine at the Silkyara Tunnel continues to make headway.Drilling machines, which will be used to dig a vertical shaft down into the collapse Silkyara tunnel in Uttarkashi, have reached the site.
The central government meanwhile has assured that electricity and water are available in this portion of the tunnel and workers are provided food items and medicines etc. through 4-inch compressor pipeline.
Operations for rescue of labourers :
- Horizontal boring by NHIDCL from Silkyara end for rescue of workers through Augur boring machine is scheduled to recommence today evening.
- The first machine of SJVNL for the construction of the Vertical rescue Tunnel has already reached the tunnel site and operations are being commenced post completion of access road by BRO. Movement of two other machines for the vertical tunnel construction started from Gujarat and Odisha through road.
- Work on construction of a rescue tunnel of 480 mtrs from Barkot end by THDC has commenced.
- Machinery for micro-tunneling by RVNL through horizontal drilling for rescue of labourers is being transported from Nashik and Delhi.
- Machinery for vertical boring are being mobilized by ONGC from USA, Mumbai & Ghaziabad.
- BRO has done a commendable work when approach road for vertical drilling of RVNL and SJVNL has been constructed within 48 hours. Further, now work is continuing for approach road for ONGC also.